The deadline for registering State Bank of India (SBI) internet banking with mobile number ends on November 30, 2018 i.e. today. Customers failing to register it will not be able to access the internet banking facilities of SBI from December 1, the lender said on its online portal- onlinesbi.com. “Attention INB (Internet Banking) users, please register your mobile number with us immediately, if not already done, through branch, failing which the internet banking facility may be blocked with effect from 01.12.2018”, the lender said.
How to check
SBI account holders who want to check the status of their mobile number registration can do so by logging on to SBI’s website.
How to register online through internet banking
Open SBI’s website (https://www.onlinesbi.com/) and go to internet banking services
Enter your login user id and password
Click on My accounts and visit the profile tab
Navigate to personal details then select the mobile number
Enter the password to save the changes
Even if you do not use internet banking, it is recommended to register mobile number with your account for alerts on any transactions. Non-internet banking customers can visit the nearest SBI branch to register their respective mobile number.
Among other changes, the bank has informed customers to upgrade their existing magnetic strip debit cards (older chip-strip based cards) to new EMV chip-based cards by December 31. This can be done by visiting any SBI branch or internet banking before the deadline.
Here are 5 things to know:
- By registering his or her mobile number with SBI by November 30, 2018, the internet banking subscriber will be able to use the service in an “uninterrupted” manner, according to the bank’s website.
- Users can also check if the mobile number is already registered with the bank by logging in to the internet banking facility.
- SBI’s move is in line with the circular (dated July 6, 2017) issued by Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Commercial banks must ask their customers to mandatorily register for SMS alerts and wherever available register for e-mail alerts, for electronic banking transactions, RBI had said.
- The banks may not offer the facility of electronic transactions, other than ATM cash withdrawals, to customers who do not provide mobile numbers to the bank, the central bank had said.
- According to SBI, the internet banking portal provides personal banking services that gives complete control over all the banking demands online. It enables its retail banking customers to operate their accounts from anywhere anytime, removing the restrictions imposed by geography and time.